DIY Fire Breathing Pink Dragon

My bigLittle knew way back in MAY what she wanted to be for Halloween: A Fire Breathing Pink Dragon with Red Spikes & a Heart. OK ‎Good Ol’ Fashioned Homemade Halloween Costume‬ COMING RIGHT UP! But I had my doubts. Is this even possible‬ while on ‪‎bedrest‬!? I had to try, because our other options were in the 30 to FORTY DOLLAR range, for a one time use costume.😳 And with another baby due soon, that $40 could get some better use.

20131008-190307.jpg
I rummaged through my craft stash & my daughter’s closet to see what, if anything, I could use & not have to buy.

I had ribbons leftover from our wedding day, a pink hoodie, a pink tank top, half bottle of Fabri-tac (this had to be a no-sew project or it wasn’t going to happen!) A sheet of thick red felt (leftover from a Kai Lan headband I made for a past costume). My daughter had a pink hand me down hoodie, that was still in good condition, but she’ll grow out of it soon & she has a couple other hoodies she can still use. Underneath she can wear her all pink ballet outfit.

[fyi – Again, this is almost a complete No-Sew project, so when I say FT’d it, know that I Fabri-Tac’d the heck out of it.]

DIY DRAGON BELLY

First thing I tackled was the BODY. I cut up my light pink tank top for the belly skin. Then FT’d it to the front of the jacket.

20131019-061413.jpg

Next, I cut to fit several strips of white sequin ribbon, a remnant from another past project. I call it dragon scales! I glued these across, to act like the belly plates of a dragon.

20131019-075937.jpg

Then I trimmed around the tank top material with thin shiny white ribbon, remnant from my wedding day shoe accent. This hid a lot of crookedness of the tank top & gave it a finished & clean look. & My BigLittle helped me glue on random loose sequins…instead of tossing them.

DIY DRAGON SPIKES

20131019-051813.jpg

I cut triangles from thick felt for the dragon spikes & attached with Fabri-Tac to a strip of ribbon. My bigLittle helped glue the spikes on a pink sash ribbon, that I suspect was from one of her first birthday gift wrap. Yes, I do hoard ribbon scraps. At first I was going to make the spikes detachable, so they wouldn’t get in the way when getting my kid into her car seat. But genius hubby said just attach them, cuz we can just remove her jacket. duh! ok, moving on. So, I FT’d it, starting from the front of the hoodie all the way down the back. Done! Instant dragon look. Could even be a dino costume.

(semi) DIY DRAGON WINGS

I had great plans of making the wings. But one trip to the local Savers & a pair of $7 red glittery “fairy wings” changed that.

20131019-062858.jpg

All I did to Dragon-fy them was to bend the wire to give them more sharp angles & ripped off this huge red rose & replaced it with red dragon spikes. Done.

20131019-062043.jpg

DIY DRAGON TAIL

20131019-144130.jpg

20131019-144158.jpg

20131019-144228.jpg

DIY DRAGON BREATH AKA FIRE BREATHING DRAGON ACTION

My original plan, was to handmake this, using three party blowers, taped together, for more flame action. But I nixed that thought, since one party blower was plenty big already for my little one. I just tied varied lengths of red & orange ribbon around the straw, with forked tips. & added a few flame tips to the end of the paper roll, using trimmed petals from the flower I ripped off the store bought wings we found at Savers. Easy!

20131018-231236.jpg

DIY DRAGON HEADBAND EARS/HORNS

20131018-224501.jpg

I almost didn’t do this. Was feeling so done with this whole costume. But one morning, got a burst of Can-Do spirit & made it happen.

Sorry, no detail step-by-step shots here. I cut up one of Ava’s old baby blankets. FT’d it over a headband. Drew ear shapes onto card stock. Cut out the ears. FT’d the ears to the blanket material. Cut it out close to the edge. then flipped it over & FT’d it again to the blanket & this time, left about a 2 cm edge around the ear. Then I FT’d around that extra flap & folded it over to hide the cardstock edge.

Next, I cut in half a gold fabric covered hair curler (I never use ’em). Then glued them to the headband for dragon horns.

Then I finished it off with dragon scales aka sequin ribbon.

DIY DRAGON TOES + LEG WARMERS

20131018-223623.jpg

20131018-223637.jpg

20131018-233349.jpg

20131019-143513.jpg

20131019-143522.jpg

DRAGON GIRL TUTU

Initially my husband was not a believer in tutu’d dragons. But I made him a believer with 1 1/2 yards each of pink & red tulle, a remnant piece of garter & scissors.

I didn’t bother to take too many detail shots of the tutu, since there are already plenty of diy’s around. Here’s a link to one from Cori @ Read.Write.Run.Mom

The one thing I’d note about this tutu, is that I folded the ends of each tulle strip & cut it at an angle, to give the skirt a more finished look.

DRAGON. DONE.

Because I’m a craft hoarder, we saved a ton by working with what I had in my stash. If you had to buy all the ribbons, fabric, hoodie, etc would easily bump your costs into the $30+ range. Fabri-Tac alone can cost $15.

We spent about $12, since we bought the wings ($7), my mom bought the tulle ($2) & party blowers ($2), and Ava’s ninang Margie picked up the tail at the dollar tree. Not bad!

The costume we almost bought:

20131019-044903.jpg

So glad we didn’t. Even though this ended up taking me several weeks to finish. We love how this turned out. It was what my bigLittle wanted & then some.

20131019-170633.jpg

20131019-170642.jpg

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s